Are you interested in a course that doesn’t have a current class visit option?  Check out the Course Spotlights from the faculty that teach our courses along with the full-time and part-time flex programs.

Also, explore the MBA curriculum and see how the curriculum formats vary by the MBA program type.

Thank you to my fellow PTOH classmates who shared their perspectives and see you all on screen during our next weekend study session!

There’s no better way to learn about an MBA class than to participate in one. You can attend an online class or meet current Tepper students over lunch during an Access Weekend. Come visit us! Registration is simple and completely online.  First, select your class/event and register with your contact information. Then, follow the instructions that will be emailed to you.

Not sure which class to visit? Browse our courses to see which class visits are required courses, electives, and what the class topics will cover. Various evening times and weekends are now open for 2019.  As the schedule fills up, check back for more available events.

The Life @ Tepper Blog chatted (virtually, of course!) with some Part-Time Online Hybrid students who tried virtual classroom visits this year.

Let’s hear from Michael Cantalupo, Chase Thomas, and Andrew Solomon about their very first experiences in the virtual MBA classroom and how it influenced their decision to join Tepper.

How did you hear about Tepper Class and Access Weekend Visits?

I believe I got an admissions email stating you could audit a class if you wanted to.

Andrew Solomon

What was the class visit and virtual classroom experience like?

I remember the format the most. All students were on video and everyone was engaged in the discussion topic. The class was working through a case together that was reviewed prior to the classroom session.

Michael Cantalupo

I do remember how engaged all of the students were. I came from a large university where class sizes could get large and I wasn’t used to so many students yearning to ask and answer questions. I was blown away by how intelligent everyone was, and how familiar everyone seemed to be with each other. The technology was seamless, I could see each student in their home, office, etc. and the engagement level was unprecedented. The experience was like no classroom experience I ever had before, and I liked that.

Chase Thomas

The professor was doing some practice problems.  I could be a fly on the wall during the whole class.

Andrew Solomon

Did the experience change your perception about CMU / Tepper / the PTOH MBA program?

The experience provided me with a really good feeling about how the PTOH program was structured. Seeing everyone’s video helped me understand that this wasn’t just an online program run through text forums and recorded videos.

Michael Cantalupo

I figured that the classroom would be disconnected since it was virtual, but it was the exact opposite. Students would call each other by name, and the professor seemed to know each of the students on an individual basis as well. It is also really interesting to see where people are calling in from, whether it be from home, work, or abroad. This is a factor that makes class feel a bit more intimate.

Chase Thomas

My biggest concern entering an online program was how the class would feel and experiencing a PTOH class showed me how you could do distance learning and still feel like you were in class. I used the class visit experience to narrow my choices. The Tepper system was far better than any other system!

Andrew Solomon

Would you recommend a class visit to applicants/prospective students?

I would recommend doing the class visit. If I hadn’t done the visit, I would not have chosen the PTOH program.

Michael Cantalupo

I wanted to make sure I was getting the best experience possible for my investment and was originally planning on driving a significant amount and distance for the Part-Time Flex Program. When I was able to see just how good the PTOH classroom experiences were, I immediately switched to  the PTOH program.

Chase Thomas

I would recommend that prospective students visit a class. So much is done online that it really makes or breaks your engagement with the program. You need to become comfortable with the technology and being on video and a class visit is an accurate representation of how seamless it is for PTOH students.

Andrew Solomon

What general advice would you have for applicants / prospective students to the PTOH?

Attend an information session webinar to learn more about the program’s format. It’s a bit different than other schools’ formats.

Michael Cantalupo

Get in contact with a current student and ask about their experience and any questions you have about the program.

Chase Thomas

Don’t be afraid to call into the admissions office; too many people rely on email nowadays.  Also, this is a very workload intensive program so see how prepared PTOH students are to put in that next-level effort during class.

Andrew Solomon

Shoshana Rubinstein

Senior Quality Engineer at Pratt & Whitney
Shoshana Rubinstein joined the Tepper Part-Time Online Hybrid MBA in 2018 and focuses in operations management. She holds a bachelor's degree in Industrial & Management Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. After graduating in three years, Shoshana went on to join the United Technologies Company’s Operations Leadership Program and spent two years in three rotations of manufacturing leadership, supply chain management, and quality control. Now, she has increasing responsibility in Pratt & Whitney’s Columbus Forge Blades quality department. Shoshana can be found hiking with friends and stress-baking various cookies and pies; she particularly loves serving Apple Pi Pie on March 14. She frequently donates time (in her local community), money (to her alma mater and cancer research), blood (with the American Red Cross), and hair (four times with Locks for Love).