Going Home For The Holidays

The funny thing about the universe is that sometimes, just sometimes, you get exactly what you want right when you need it the most. As many a first-year collegiette can probably relate, what I had been longing for more than anything during all of last week was to come home to a lovingly cooked meal, see the people I love for the first time in months, and just kick back and relax in my own childhood bed. Going to the airport this Tuesday was almost surreal, as I boarded the bus, and then the plane, and then just like that, in a blur, I was home.

It’s true when they say that “distance makes the heart grow fonder” –at least, that certainly was the case for me. Oddly enough, I don’t think I realized how truly glad I was to be back until I landed, but when it finally hit me, I almost immediately started making a list of all the places I wanted to visit, all the people I wanted to see, and of course, all of my mom’s home-cooked dishes I wanted to taste again.

Especially now, with the weather turning dour and just three weeks of school left before the end of the semester, I am so so thankful to have gotten this much-needed five day interlude. In a way, it is a reminder that we’ve made it, that we’ve survived almost three (!) whole months on our own in unfamiliar territory. But above all, it’s reminded me that it’s good to have a place to call home.

Elaine Chen | Undergraduate Business 2022

Elaine is a freshman hoping to major in computational finance or take a minor in computer science. Torn between her love for economics and her love for numbers, she hopes to continue studying both during her time at CMU. In addition to writing, she enjoys cooking, running, and playing table tennis.

Latest posts by Elaine Chen | Undergraduate Business 2022 (see all)

0 replies