An inspiring and memorable leadership summit

“To serve is to live.” – Frances Hesselbein

Last weekend (July 20-24) I have had the pleasure and honor of participating in the 10th annual Hesselbein Global Academy with 38 passionate and emerging leaders as well as mentors and alumni from around at the University of Pittsburgh. In just 5 short days, we learned from some of the top leaders in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors as well as the military and the amazing Frances Hesselbein herself, packed 10,000 meals to be sent to the needy around the world, and partnered with civic engagement groups around Pittsburgh to help solve problems for them.

It’s one thing to be knowledgeable and able to do things but it’s another to truly embody the values and missions of what one does and to put those values into practice everyday. As a Resident Assistant and student leader in several other organizations on campus, I challenge myself to rise to the occasion and work towards the being a better listener and leader in the community. And I will forever hold dear the lessons learned during the summit and align my heart, brain, character, and courage to empower as many people as I can in all the work that I do. 

My mentoring group! Mentor: Davie Huddleston, Adjunct professor/Executive-in-Residence of the Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh

Rise Against Hunger – meal packing activity

2018 Hesselbein fellows and mentors group photo

To learn more about the Hesselbein Global Academy and/or the work that Frances Hesselbein has done, feel free to check out their website or Facebook page. Applications for next year’s summit will open early 2019 and is open to sophomores through 1st year graduate students. I highly recommend applying and would be more than happy to talk with anyone about it.

Eric Huang | Undergraduate Economics 2019

Eric is a senior from the sprawling suburban town of Edison, New Jersey. He enjoys cafe-hopping and spent this past summer in Pittsburgh. He's also studied abroad spent two summers in Shanghai and London. Two of his favorite shows are “The 100” and “Colony." He enjoys going cafe-hopping and believes it's a great way to unwind and explore new places. He’s a Resident Assistant in the Hill neighborhood and a mentor for the Emerging Leaders program on campus. He is also involved in cmuTV, the campus filming club as well as Mortar Board (senior honor society).

Latest posts by Eric Huang | Undergraduate Economics 2019 (see all)

0 replies