Week 1 in Hong Kong!

Every MBA student must complete a capstone project as part of their graduation requirement. I chose to study abroad for my capstone in Hong Kong and hopefully, I will get to update you on all the fun stuff I will be doing for my 4 weeks in Hong Kong and China!

It’s been 2 weeks since I arrived in Hong Kong  and I’m 1 week behind on updating everyone. I was in mainland China last week and couldn’t access anything besides Google and you will see very soon that your entire Tepper life is managed by Google! So I didn’t get a chance to blog until now.

Here are some highlights from our 1st week because there really is too much to say.

Day 0 – Landed in Hong Kong and went out to see the night market and eat some real asian food after trying to get over the jetlag from a 15 hour flight!

Day 1 – Welcome & Introductions by the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) followed by a Welcome Lunch at a Michelin star restaurant and a tour of Hong Kong Island!

Day 2 – Overview of US-China relations followed by a tour of CUHK

Day 3 – Chinese Calligraphy and a night of betting on horse races at the Hong Kong Jockey Club. Many of us won money and we ended up celebrating those winnings and a classmate’s birthday by going to experience LKF for the first time!

Day 4 – Listened to a presentation from the General Manager of the Royal Park Hotel (where we are staying during our time in Hong Kong) and attended a seminar on Fintech in Asia

Day 5 – Learned about the story of Insinkerators in China and met MBA/MSCF students from CUHK

Day 6 – 10 km hike to the Big Buddha!

This is just the stuff that we did as a class. I have had many other adventures during this week from learning to ride the MTR to trying to decipher a menu in Chinese to enjoying so many beautiful sights! There’s just too much to talk about in the 1st week alone!

Maybe, I’ll get a chance to write more later but for now, I hope this gives you a glimpse into all the fun and exciting things we are doing and experiencing in our 4 weeks in Hong Kong!

Arthi Manivasakam | MBA 2018

Arthi Manivasakam | MBA 2018

Intern at numo
Arthi was born in Canada but raised in Boston, where she spent her entire career working in the startup ecosystem. She loves fashion and even studied fashion design part-time before arriving at Tepper. Arthi also enjoys spending hours in Sephora, binge-watching Grey’s Anatomy, cooking, hanging out with friends, and practicing handstands. She is the GBA Marketing officer, on the CMU Hyperloop Marketing team, a Swartz Fellow, and member of the Culinary Club, Data Analytics Club, Graduate Entrepreneurship Club, and Wine Club.
Arthi Manivasakam | MBA 2018

Latest posts by Arthi Manivasakam | MBA 2018 (see all)

0 replies