Lunar Gala 2018

2018 is the year of the dog. To celebrate, CMU put together its annual Lunar Gala. Over a hundred CMU students, along with members of the Pittsburgh community, come together to create a show centered around the Zodiac animal of the lunar calendar.

This year’s theme was Ferox. Lunar Gala described it as follows:

“Ferox is primal. Ferox is chaotic. Ferox is a return to instinct. Embodied by the human species, Ferox represents a blind and reckless freedom that must be contained for the sake of maintaining the civility we all value and from which we all benefit. Ultimately… Ferox must be quelled.”

This year, I decided to try something new. I knew I didn’t want to model, but I was compelled by the thought of being a makeup artist. Soon enough, I was asked to do makeup for two of the models for a photo shoot.

I was nervous. True, I wear makeup on a daily basis, but I knew that this would be a brand new experience. Never had I done something to this degree, but I wanted to be a part of something so significant to CMU and something that embodied CMU so well: designs that explored technology, diversity, and all-around excellence.

(Photo and edits courtesy of Wilson Chan. Models: Alan Hodge and Cheyenne Shankle)

To my surprise, I found that I had fun in the photo shoot: so much so that I came back to do makeup for the models for the actual show. As I am writing this, the show is going on (and unfortunately I have two midterms and three exams to worry about, all for this week: the joys of double minoring along with a business degree!). However, I am beyond humbled to be in this community and help others feel confident and… well, find their “Ferox”.

Madeline Kim | Undergraduate Business 2020

Interpreter at Global Wordsmiths
Madeline is an Alabama native studying business administration at Carnegie Mellon University. In addition to her studies, she works as a Korean interpreter at Global Wordsmiths, expresses her political opinions through CMU’s student-run newspaper, The Tartan, and plays violin for CMU's string ensemble, String Theory. Some of her passions lie in food, music of all kinds, and open political conversations. She is a makeup enthusiast and incorporates her political views in the ethics and racial inclusiveness in the beauty industry. In her free time, she enjoys writing, spending time with her family and friends, and drawing. By graduation, Madeline hopes to become a more open-minded and well-rounded lifelong learner.

Latest posts by Madeline Kim | Undergraduate Business 2020 (see all)

0 replies