15-112

Of CMU’s various schools, each major has a specific guideline of classes, especially for freshmen, to enroll in. As a Tepper student, I have Business Computing, Principles of Macroeconomics, and Multivariate Analysis. For one of my free class spaces, I decided to take 15-112, the infamous introductory programming course.

To my slight surprise, it’s been a lot of fun so far. Having zero previous programming experience, I’m learning everything entirely from scratch and it’s interesting to say the least. 15-112 introduces you to the language of python and a new way of thinking, a creative path that focuses on general overviews and understanding the big picture. There’s no more individually catering to single cases; general, but versatile thinking is the new requirement. We haven’t explored much past the initial layers of commands yet, but Professor Rivers (and the TAs, I imagine) come up with intricately creative problems.

As for the gritty side of 112, it is a lot of work. There are review videos and examples to learn from, co-lab problems to work on, homework problems to complete, and a quiz each week. That being said, according to past students I’m still on the easy part of the course.

For future students, don’t be discouraged from taking this course. It’s a great doorway into programming and can cater to any school. In this age now, programming is a much more widespread skill and having a basic knowledge is integral. Honestly, I’m excited to see what I learn next.

Eric Jiang | Undergraduate Business 2021
Follow me

Eric grew up in Montgomery, New Jersey. He joined the Tepper School in 2017 and plans to major in business administration. He enjoys sports, including swimming, ping pong, and ultimate frisbee, and in his downtime he reads or watches “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia." Eric is a big advocate of volunteer work and enjoys similar-minded clubs.
Follow me

Latest posts by Eric Jiang | Undergraduate Business 2021 (see all)

0 replies